||[Apr. 17th, 2008|09:05 am]
A community for biking afficianados in DC
Since it's been taking me an hour or so lately to drive the eleven miles from my condo off Cherry Hill Rd in Beltsville/College Park to my office in downtown Bethesda, I've been thinking more seriously about trying to find a way to bike to work. Unfortunately, there are several obstacles in my way, and I've yet to be able to figure out a way around them. The biggest problem is getting to the other side of the Beltway.
Via roads, the major routes I could take (and the reasons I don't want to) are:
1) Cherry Hill east -> Powder Mill -> New Hampshire -> something in Silver Spring (I forget the name of that little parkway that runs along the north side of Silver Spring)
- Not a good option because Powder mill is an extremely narrow road with no shoulder, down and up a very steep hill. Not safe for riding at the best of times, let alone at rush hour.
2) Cherry Hill west -> Rt. 29 -> Silver Spring
- Not a good option because Rt. 29 is a divided highway with shoulders, but little in the way of sidewalks, and no bike lane. See above re: not safe for riding.
3) Cherry Hill farther west/Randolph Rd. -> Georgia Ave
- Not a good option because Georgia Ave is extremely busy, with no shoulder and crappy sidewalks, AND it's currently torn up for paving. See above re: not safe for riding.
4) Cherry Hill/Randolph Rd. even FARTHER west -> Connecticut Ave
- This might be the most feasible, but puts me several miles out of my way, and Connecticut Ave isn't much better than Georgia in terms of ridability.
I'm sure there are other routes through neighborhoods and back streets, but they're so circuitous as to be impractical - and pretty much everything still requires taking one of those major roads to get to the other side of the Beltway.
UNLESS! And here's where I hope you guys can help: unless there's a bike path or alternate route I simply don't know about? Something that would take me north-south into either Silver Spring or Bethesda?
Anyone have any suggestions or advice?